What Can You Observe in an App?
Sometimes the hardest part of using a new tool is figuring out where to get started. Read on for ideas how you can embed and use Hrbr within your application.
Good application observation means knowing "What is ..." happening right now with your software, device or environment. Not what happened a week ago, not what happened a month ago. What IS happening right now?
We’ve found (no surprise) with our customers that every application and/or use case is a bit different. Our customers want to look at different things, different processes, different underlying technology ... you get it, every business need is different 😉
Addressing different information needs is one of the core drivers for how we’ve built Hrbr. Any developer can deploy and use a Hrbr Beacon to gather whatever information will make a customer successful. Be it user experience, platform usage, app tracking ... whatever.
Like we’ve said YOU know what is important to you. But here are some suggestions and use cases we've seen from our clients.
- How are your customers really using your application? Gain insight into customer usage by observing the patterns of customers on your site, where they touch the application on the screen, where and what buttons the select, etc. You can see a good example of this kind of observation at demos.hrbr.io where we have set up Hrbr to track mouse/touch as well as button clicking.
- How is your application performing? Deploy Hrbr beacons to track the performance/latency of your application. Get in front of customer experience issues and directly address performance issues at end-user level of granularity. The Web Application Beacon is a perfect starting point gathering that information.
- Are your endpoint devices healthy? If you have lots of devices in the field, you need to know how they are being used, if they have performance issues and their general health.
- What is happening with your system services and monitoring? Hrbr can take care of good, old-school server monitoring. You know, the stuff that everyone else charges you $15 bucks a month for you can get from Hrbr for free. Get real time insight into how your servers are performing, CPU, disk, up/down time, etc.
- Is it down or up? This kind of tracking is very old-school but really important when it comes to your application ... right? Right!! 😉
This is just a short list of suggestions to kick off your Application Observation exploration. These are lightweight examples and certainly don’t cover everything you need. But they are a good starting point if you are uncertain where to begin.